Monday, February 22, 2016

Freedom of Expression goes both ways.

If I exercise a given right can I prevent others from exercising the same right?

The only fig leaf covering the slogan shouting at JNU is "Freedom of expression".
Many of us who do not support the slogans still supported the right of the students to chant those slogans.

A friend FWD'ed the following article in support of JNU http://www.thedelhiwalla.com/2012/10/26/city-landmark-jawaharlal-nehru-university-south-delhi/

By the third paragraph (quoted below) the bunch at JNU started looking like groups of nutcases


In their new world, there will be no gods. Nor will there be fanatical adoration of pop stars like cricketer Sachin Tendulkar and actor Shah Rukh Khan. No one will drink Pepsi, no one will read The Times of India. Public revelry for film star Amitabh Bachchan’s birthday — no. They will be curtailed as customs left over from the dark days of capitalism.

I understand and support the fact that every community has the right to express its views, every community has the right to convince others about the validity of its views. I oppose the attempts by any community to use the might and power of the state to curtail the views of others.

While BJP and its supporters are today using the might of the state to suppress dissent. I find the lunatic elements of JNU equally willing in their planned dystopia  to curtail what they find distasteful.

It was dismaying to see Khalid proudly recount to cheers from his supporters about how other's were prevented from addressing the Students at JNU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3vbTSFc1I&feature=youtu.be&t=10m33s

If I support Khalid's rights to sing his loony tunes at JNU. I also support the rights of Indira Gandhi to elaborate on the benefits of Emergency, I also support Manmohan's right to mumble something, I support Chiddu's rights to promote Nehru and I support Ram Dev's right to promote yoga, go-mutra and vedic science.
If a fringe group which wants to curtail entertainment find's place in JNU I do not see any problem with ABVP finding place in the same JNU.

No comments:

Post a Comment